In the past 10 years I have been and seen alot of our Papua new Guinea citizens been treated like criminals and been evicted like aminals and it breaks my heart when I see kids crying and mothers when everything they have built is taken down by police and dozers and there is nothing you can do about it.
Yes the first thing people will say is, "send them back to the village". The only problem with this is most are 2nd or 3rd generation Highlanders and NGI who have been in the city since birth.
The only reason why people buy blocks and settle in settlements is because there is no other option for citizens. What are they supposed to do when rentals are so high and the cost of the proper land and house is over K400,000. Government has no solutions.
Everyone wants a proper home and our national Government must breach the gap for citizens with a policy that will give solve the following. 1 Family 1 home.
1. Aquire land in NCD and Central Province
2. Land owners and ILG clans be partners in any land development with the state in at rate share agreement.
3. Government puts all trunk infrastructure into the new suburbs, Eda Ranu, PNG power, Telikom. Roads.
4. Each family is identified and land given as equity for small working class families.
5. Government subsidies should cut first home buyers to about K150,000 per home. With BSP facilities it should be accessible since the land is purchased by the government.
I can't wait until our citizens live in proper structured housing estates, that is the PNG dream. 2017 I put my hand up with my policy team Martin and Francis we have a working policy that will work only problem is political willingness to achieve all our dreams to own our own home.
Good night please my sisters and brothers do you live in block, renting, living with family and wantoks or do you own your own home??